Official: Bahrain and Vietnam Grands Prix postponed

13/03/2020
NEWS STORY

F1 has announced that both the Bahrain and Vietnam Grands Prix have been postponed.

"In view of the continued global spread of COVID-19 and after ongoing discussions with the FIA, the Bahrain International Circuit, the Bahrain Motor Federation, the Hanoi People’s Committee the Vietnamese Motorsports Association, and the Vietnam Grand Prix Corporation, a decision has been taken by all parties to postpone both races," said Formula One Management in a statement issued on Friday afternoon.

"Following the announcement of the Australian Grand Prix’s cancellation this week and the ongoing and fluid nature of the COVID-19 situation globally, Formula 1, the FIA and the promoters have taken these decisions in order to ensure the health and safety of the travelling staff, championship participants and fans, which remains our primary concern.

"Formula 1 and the FIA continue to work closely with the race promoters in Bahrain and Vietnam and the local authorities to monitor the situation and take the appropriate amount of time to study the viability of potential alternative dates for each Grand Prix later in the year should the situation improve.

"As a result, Formula 1 and the FIA expect to begin the Championship in Europe at the end of May but given the sharp increase in COVID-19 cases in Europe in recent days, this will be regularly reviewed.

"The global situation regarding COVID-19 is fluid and very difficult to predict," said Formula 1 Chairman and CEO, Chase Carey, "and its right we take time to assess the situation and make the right decisions.

"We are taking this decision with the FIA and our promoters to ensure the safety of everyone involved in Formula 1 and our fans. The Bahrain Grand Prix is an exciting race in our schedule, and we look forward to being back there as soon as we can. We are also looking forward to Vietnam’s inaugural race and bringing the spectacle of F1 to one of the most exciting cities in the world."

"Protecting people first," added FIA President, Jean Todt. "Together with Formula 1, the Bahrain Motor Federation, the Vietnamese Motorsports Association, and the local promoters, postponing both the Bahrain and Vietnam Grands Prix, as with the Australian Grand Prix, was the only possible decision given all of the information currently available to us.

"We continue to rely on the input and advice from the World Health Organisation (WHO) and governments and will work with them throughout this unpredictable period to safeguard the fans, competitors and all of the motor sport community."

As previously reported, the claim in the statement that the championship is expected to begin "in Europe at the end of May", rules out the Dutch and Spanish event and most likely Monaco also, meaning the season will hopefully kick off in Azerbaijan on 7 June.

Article from Pitpass (http://www.pitpass.com):

Published: 13/03/2020
Copyright © Pitpass 2002 - 2021. All rights reserved.